Chikungunya is a viral illness that is caused by the chikunguniya virus. It is passed onto the human body by biting of a female infected mosquito, belonging from Aedes species namely- Aedes aegypti or Aedes albopictus. Its symptoms usually begin after 3-7 days of biting.
- High fever
- Joint pain in arms and legs
- Muscle pain
- Back pain
- Joint swelling
- Rashes (nearly 50% of the affected people)
There is no as such vaccine for protection against this disease but certain precautions can kept you out of it like-
- Use mosquito net.
- Protect yourself from mosquito bite in mosquito-prone areas.
- Wear long sleeves shirts and pants, if possible.
- Avoid water stagnation near your home or workplace.
- Use mosquito repellent cream.
- If possible, avoid yourself from further mosquito bite as it can pass the disease to others.
The one suffering from chikungunya is advised to take proper medicines as prescribed, drink fluids and take rest.